In today’s episode, you will learn new English vocabulary words and expressions related to the topic of appearance. You will also hear tons of real-life stories that will help you understand the words and expressions more. This episode will give you the vocabulary and expressions you need to speak fluently in English about this topic.
TODAY’S ENGLISH RESOURCE
TODAY’S ENGLISH VOCABULARY
Meaning: cheerful and/or joyful celebration; pertaining to a festival.
- Sentence 1: Joan enjoyed celebrating her anniversary in a festive manner.
- Sentence 2: Already decorated for Christmas, the house looked very festive.
- Sentence 3: In spite of the sad occasion, Ellen wore festive attire for the funeral.
Meaning: a significant point in development
- Sentence 1: Graduating from college is an important milestone.
- Sentence 2: Each child must reach important milestones in their development.
- Sentence 3: The new technique was regarded as a milestone in the treatment of COVID-19.
TODAY’S ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS
Leaps and bounds
Meaning: over and above expectations
- Sentence 1: Ean reached every childhood milestone. He was leaps and bounds above his classmates.
- Sentence 2: I feel so far ahead at work but the boss says I am not leaps and bounds ahead.
- Sentence 3: The business was doing really well and was earning money leaps and bounds above its competitors.
Over the hill
Meaning: old or past a person’s prime; past middle age
- Sentence 1: He used to be fast but now he’s over the hill.
- Sentence 2: After his 50th birthday, Bernie felt over the hill.
- Sentence 3: Once beautiful and enlightened, Susan was now over the hill.