In today’s episode, you will learn new English vocabulary words and expressions related to the topic of charity. You will also hear tons of real-life stories that will help you understand the words and expressions more. This episode will give you the vocabulary and expressions you need to speak fluently in English about this topic.
TODAY’S ENGLISH RESOURCE
TODAY’S ENGLISH VOCABULARY
Meaning: The vocation or calling of a religious organization, especially a Christian one, to go out into the world and spread its faith.
- Sentence 1: I served on a mission to improve water supply to small towns in America.
- Sentence 2: Greenleaf is a wonderful mission organization that helps young women become more financially secure.
- Sentence 3: Although charitable giving is important, working as a missionary on the mission field is also important.
Meaning: The desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.
- Sentence 1: Many colleges receive donations from philanthropic institutions.
- Sentence 2: Lily had philanthropic interests and enjoyed donating to unknown artists.
- Sentence 3: The list of his honors and achievements was exceeded only by his philanthropic connections and contributions.
TODAY’S ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS
Kill with kindness
Meaning: To cause discomfort to someone by treating him or her in a way that is extremely kind or helpful
- Sentence 1: If someone is rude to you, don’t be rude back. Kill them with kindness.
- Sentence 2: Instead of returning the insult, you might try killing her with kindness.
- Sentence 3: Take the high road, kill them with kindness.
Random acts of kindness
Meaning: Giving gifts to strangers or friends unexpectedly
- Sentence 1: Sharon was having a bad day so she decided to perform a random act of kindness by paying for a person’s groceries.
- Sentence 2: When on the highway, I like to do random acts of kindness and pay the toll for the person behind me.
- Sentence 3: The city council deemed June 29th as a day for random acts of kindness.