In today’s episode, you will learn new English vocabulary words and expressions related to the topic of appearance. You will also hear tons of real-life stories that will help you understand the words and expressions more. This episode will give you the vocabulary and expressions you need to speak fluently in English about this topic.
TODAY’S ENGLISH RESOURCE
TODAY’S ENGLISH VOCABULARY
Meaning: To make something more beautiful; to enhance the appearance of
- Sentence 1: Planting flowers and shrubs helps to beautify any garden.
- Sentence 2: They spend an awful amount of time and energy on mining gold to beautify their cities.
- Sentence 3: The woman does her best to beautify the room.
Meaning: A point of view
- Sentence 1: The two parents had contrasting perspectives on how to discipline their child.
- Sentence 2: From my perspective, I think that global warming is an important topic.
- Sentence 3: I went to university to gain a broader perspective on global issues.
TODAY’S ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Meaning: what one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.
- Sentence 1: Everyone wondered what he saw in her, but I guess the saying is true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- Sentence 2: Every parent believes their newborn is beautiful because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- Sentence 3: Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are common features that are universally attractive.
Beauty is only skin deep
Meaning: a pleasing appearance is not a guide to character; physical beauty can be superficial
- Sentence 1: Outer beauty cannot make up for a bad attitude, because beauty is only skin deep.
- Sentence 2: Although attractiveness is important, beauty is only skin deep.
- Sentence 3: You may think that my boyfriend is ugly but remember, beauty is only skin deep. He is an amazing man.