By watching this video lesson, you will learn how to improve your English listening skills in 5 steps.
*ACADEMY STUDENTS ONLY*
[WATCH Part 2 & DOWNLOAD the lesson PDF. Join the Academy]
Find a video or podcast (Something you are interested in)
- Look for a video or podcast that is connected to a topic you enjoy.
- Learning about topics you already enjoy makes it easy for your brain to make connections as you listen.
Listen & Mark the timestamps (The parts you don’t understand)
- Listen to the video/podcast and write down the timestamps of the parts you don’t understand.
- Jotting down quick notes is good because it doesn’t stop you from listening to the remainder of the program.
Go to the timestamp (Listen again & guess)
- Listen to the portions at the timestamps one more time and guess what is being said.
- This will help you focus on small portions instead of the entire program.
Figure out the context (Before, after, & overall)
- Listen to the portions before and immediately after the portion you didn’t understand. Then think about the video as a whole.
- This will help your brain start to connect the information and understand what you missed.
Listen one more time (Make sure you understand)
- Listen to the program one more time and make sure you are able to understand the portions you went over.
- This will help you feel more confident and give your brain one last time to recognize what you learned.