In today’s episode, you will learn new English vocabulary words and expressions related to the topic of appearance. You will also hear tons of real-life stories that will help you understand the words and expressions more. This episode will give you the vocabulary and expressions you need to speak fluently in English about this topic.
TODAY’S ENGLISH RESOURCE
TODAY’S ENGLISH VOCABULARY
Meaning: to be fitting; to fit with or act in a certain fashion
- Sentence 1: The young man should learn how to comport himself.
- Sentence 2: A woman walked out of the crowd, comporting herself with great dignity.
- Sentence 3: The beauty queen could lose her title if she does not comport to the moral standards of her position.
Meaning: the quality of being powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating
- Sentence 1: The perfume she wore was so alluring that heads turned as she walked by.
- Sentence 2: I love the allure of the ocean waters, so I enjoy spending time at the beach.
- Sentence 3: The hungry woman could not resist the allure of the bakery.
TODAY’S ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS
Can’t teach an old dog new tricks
Meaning: If a person is used to something a particular way, it is difficult for them to change.
- Sentence 1: Bill is so stubborn and obstinate. I guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
- Sentence 2: My mother refuses to learn how to use Netflix because she is adamant that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
- Sentence 3: Although you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, you can help them learn by building on their already formed habits.
Dressed to kill
Meaning: A person who is dressed very well; dressed well for an occasion
- Sentence 1: Jenny met up with her date, dressed to kill.
- Sentence 2: For my wedding in June, I want to be dressed to kill.
- Sentence 3: After getting his suit freshly tailored, Alan was dressed to kill.
Warts and all
Meaning: accepting a person as they are, including all their faults
- Sentence 1: My dog Max barks a lot, but I love him warts and all.
- Sentence 2: Even though it had scratches, Ryan really enjoyed his record of Nat King Cole, warts and all.
- Sentence 3: People need to love themselves and be confident about their status in life, warts and all.