In today’s episode, you will learn new English vocabulary words and expressions related to the topic of cars. You will also hear tons of real-life stories that will help you understand the words and expressions more. This episode will give you the vocabulary and expressions you need to speak fluently in English about this topic.
TODAY’S ENGLISH RESOURCE
TODAY’S ENGLISH VOCABULARY
Meaning: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.
- Sentence 1: Hybrids have their advantages and save users money on gasoline purchases.
- Sentence 2: The Toyota hybrid car, Prius, is my favorite fuel-efficient car.
- Sentence 3: If you do your homework, I’m sure you will find a hybrid that will fit your needs.
Meaning: A car which is propelled by one or more electric motors, using energy stored in rechargeable batteries.
- Sentence 1: Electric cars are the cars of the future.
- Sentence 2: Paul enjoyed the financial benefits of having an electric car.
- Sentence 3: Sally’s electric car provided safe transportation while reducing the environmental impact.
TODAY’S ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS
Meaning: a person or thing that proves to be defective, imperfect, or unsatisfactory.
- Sentence 1: He purchased a used car, but it turned out to be a lemon.
- Sentence 2: John really enjoyed driving his lemon, even though it broke down every other day.
- Sentence 3: When her car worked, it was fun to let the convertible top down. Otherwise, it was a lemon.
Crash and burn
Meaning: to fail spectacularly
- Sentence 1: I studied for hours but ended up crashing and burning.
- Sentence 2: In the restaurant business, new restaurants often crash and burn.
- Sentence 3: Although she was favored to win the downhill race, she crashed and burned on her first run.