WATCH THE VIDEO
- Give their introduction
- Canadian – Jamaican
- Graduated with 3 degrees (Business, MBA in Global Management, and a Law degree)
- Taught English at the middle school level in Atlanta, Georgia (For 5 years)
- Been in Korea as an English teacher for the last 8 years
- Why did you become an English teacher and how long have you been an English teacher?
- Fell in love with Korean dramas
- Became interested in Korean culture
- Has always been good at communication and English
- Wanted to teach older students
- Can you tell us about your first teaching experience?
- Started teaching at SDA Language Institute
- Was teaching adults in the morning/evening and kids in the afternoon
- Loved the real conversations she was able to have with the adults
- Learned a lot about Korean culture and how Koreans think
- As a teacher, what have you noticed are the three best qualities of a good English student?
- Curiosity (Ask questions)
- Be observant
- Enjoying English
- Did you ever have a favorite student? Tell us about him/her
- One of his students introduced her to a girl
- She became the girl’s mentor
- She admires her idea of social warfare
- She admires her purpose in life
- What are the hardest things about teaching English?
- Teaching grammar to English language learners
- Teaching different students who are used to different styles
- What do you enjoy most about teaching English?
- She teaches English to culinary arts students
- She has the freedom to teach them in the way she would like to
- She enjoys using various methods to help students learn English
- Do you speak another language? Tell us about it.
- Speaks Spanish
- Learned Spanish in Jamaica as a child (7th – 11th grade)
- Didn’t learn how to speak in high school
- In college, she also had difficulties speaking in Spanish
- Went to Spain for a year (Struggled for 5 months and then was finally able to speak)
- Do you know any good English resources?
- Advice for other 2nd language teachers, students, and teachers
Have fun and don’t stress out about English
The more relaxed you are, the more you are able to absorb
How to speak basic English
Thank you, Tiffani! I’ve enjoyed a lot this episode. English resources that Carla suggest are amazing.